Monday 28 July 2014

Nant Cynnyn to Snowdon and back


To prepare for this trip I had an early morning start, about 5:45am, to fit in some breakfast and some minor things to pack. After some stretching, applying sun lotion and fitting a heart rate monitor I left the house at 6:30am.

As traffic on the A55 was fairly light at this time of the morning I arrived at my destination just before 8am.



Parked at Nant Cynnyn off the A4086. Changed to my Salomon SC3s and began heading up hill towards Pen Y Pass car park. The run along the A4086 was completely on tarmac with traffic passing on both sides, so extra care was required on this narrow stretch. At just over 1 mile and 11mins later I was at the car park. The facilities were great, manged to get a loo break and composed myself for the run ahead.

From the car park I ran along the Pyg track heading towards Snowdon. The first and last sections of the Pyg track were very technical and steep. Care was need when running over smooth polished rocks, especially in the wet.






Running up steep sections was very hard going, a lot of the times I was speed hiking with hands on knees. The Pyg track levelled out further ahead. I've noticed they'd installed a new marker for Snowdon here, I'd guessed too many hikers went up the wrong way to crib goch?




Cloud cover consumed the summit, I didn't get any good views at all. Typical as the whole week prior we had continuous blue skies.





Here is another clear shot of the twin peaks of Y Lliwedd, if the weather better that would of been my next summit for the last part of the Snowdon horse shoe.





After a short lunch break on the summit of Snowdon, with a handful of people, my route of descent was part of the Pyg and mostly the miners track. Here was the summary of my run logged by my Garmin and displayed on endomondo.



No comments:

Post a Comment