Wednesday 25 September 2013

Wirral Half Marathon 2013

The Route



The Wirral half marathon! The Inaugural race organised by the folks at the superb BTRLiverpool. If anyone can arrange and event of first class quality, BTRLiverpool are it.

On race day I got up at 7am to ensure I had enough time to have breakfast which consisted of oats porridge and a mug of coffee. I also ate a lovely home baked flapjack by Frances which tastes ten times better than the ones you buy from the supermarket.

Parked my car at Wallasey Grove Road to catch the 8:27am train to Birkenhead Park. Walked across to the starting area in the park, dropped off my bag with warm clothes to one of the Buses. They provide transportation of your bags from start to finish line as this was a point to point race. Race starts at 9:30am.

From Birkenhead Park the 10K and half marathon shared the same start and course until we got to New Brighton. From then on the 10K race veers off to the left to the finish line. The half marathon continues on for another 6miles!! 



My race number! This was not made from cheap paper/card like others that will simply melt away in the rain. The timing chip was found glued to the back of the number, unlike others that you need to tie to your shoe! I have heard stories of lost chips, timing chips not working but not from these guys. Timing was done by TDL.


Post race shot with medal, free water, technical T and a PB! What a fine day! The weather was horrid, with wind and rain plus the route took us onto the sandy beach!


My race tracked on Endomondo, was fortunate that GPS signals were strong throughout!




My official time! A PB!! 01:46:20!! Five minutes off my last half marathon time.



Here are some more photos of the race from the day.



Start of race (10K and Half Marathon) at Birkenhead Park.



Fort Perch Rock, New Brighton (Side View)



Fort Perch Rock, New Brighton



Derby Pool (In) 

No comments:

Post a Comment